Posted by Danny Walker Wed, Dec 18, 2013
What are online backup services and why do they matter to your business?
What are online backup services?
Online backup services are, as the name suggests, a way to protect company data offsite. Think of your current backup system, only it’s more automated and you don’t have to take any tapes out of the office when you go home at night.
“By frequently (or continuously) backing up data on a remote hard drive, the risk of catastrophic data loss as a result of fire, theft, file corruption, or other disaster is practically eliminated.”
How does business online backup work?
Online backup services are simple and easy to use:
- A copy of your important company data is uploaded to the service provider’s data centre over the Internet.
- A file syncing application is installed on your server to copy changed data over the Internet automatically.
And that’s pretty much it. You change a file in the office, and the backup copy is also updated. Delete a file by accident and you can get a copy back within minutes.
48% of businesses experience data loss each year - The Future of Online Backup
What’s so great about business online backup?
There’s lots to love about business online backup:
- No more tapes.
- Backups are taken automatically.
- No more planning future backup capacities – you can use as much online storage as you need.
- Pay as you go – you pay for what you use now, not what you might use in the future.
- No more upgrades – never replace your backup tapes and drives again.
- File versioning allows you to recover copies of files that may have been changed several times in the past – you can always get the one you need.
- Even if your office burns down and your server is destroyed, your data can be recovered from anywhere in the world.
40% of SMEs don’t back up their data - Data Loss is a Ticking Timebomb
What should you look for?
When considering your business online backup options, you should choose a partner who:
- Hosts your information in a secure, off-site data centre.
- Only charges you for the service you need.
- Regularly checks your data for inconsistencies.
- Stores your data in more than one location for greater resilience.
- Also offers disaster recovery services to ensure business continuity.
Watch the video now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIFD7zq2DsU
Are business online backups for you?
- You want a cost-effective, future-proof backup solution.
- You need a flexible data backup and retrieval mechanism.
- You need a fully-automated backup solution.
- You want simple file-versioning without an extensive backup tape collection.